A YOUNG British actress was targeted by a “big big star” in a sick Hollywood casting couch stunt, Ross King has revealed.
The Los Angeles correspondent for ITV morning show Lorraine has told how the actress, who has not been named, was told she would have to sleep with an actor in order to win the role as his daughter in a big budget movie.
Speaking on today’s Lorraine, he said: “This is not directly referring to Harvey Weinstein but the casting couch in Hollywood is definitely not dead.
“I know some people always think of it as something way in the past but it’s not.
“I even know of an instance just the other week where a young British actress over here was going for a role in a movie, a big movie, with a big big star.
“She was going to play his daughter and she was basically told that she had to sleep with him or she wouldn’t get the part.
“I’m not making that up, it’s unbelievable.”
“This is particularly disturbing,” host Lorraine Kelly said in response.
The claims were made as it was revealed Harvey Weinstein has been dismissed from the Weinstein Company with immediate effect “in light of new information about misconduct”.
The Hollywood studio had launched an inquiry into allegations of sexual harassment concerning the Academy Award-winning producer, who is one of its founders.
A statement from the Weinstein Company Board of Representatives said: “In light of new information about misconduct by Harvey Weinstein that has emerged in the past few days, the directors of The Weinstein Company – Robert Weinstein, Lance Maerov, Richard Koenigsberg and Tarak Ben Ammar – have determined, and have informed Harvey Weinstein, that his employment with The Weinstein Company is terminated, effective immediately.”
Harvey Weinstein, who was co-chairman of the studio, had previously announced he was taking leave of absence after claims were made by women with whom he had worked.
Those involved include Kiss The Girls star Ashley Judd and Rose McGowan, who appeared in films including Scream, according to a piece published by the New York Times.
The producer issued an apology, saying he appreciated the way he had behaved with colleagues in the past “has caused a lot of pain” and that he realised he “needed to be a better person”.
“I came of age in the 60s and 70s, when all the rules about behaviour and workplaces were different. That was the culture then,” the 65-year-old said.
“I have since learned it’s not an excuse, in the office – or out of it. To anyone.”
His lawyer Lisa Bloom announced on Saturday that she had resigned following the allegations.
MOST READ IN TV & SHOWBIZ
Got a story? email email@example.com or call us direct on 02077824220.
We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.