BAKE Off is heating up and the competition is getting fiercer and fiercer, with week six testing the contestants’ pastry skills.
The show has moved to Channel 4 but has kept fans happy but sticking to the same format – here’s what has happened so far, who has won Star Baker so far and which contestants have left the tent…
Who has left Bake Off so far?
- Week One: Cakes – Nigerian IT programme manager Peter, 52.
- Week Two: Biscuits – Sussex born author Chris.
- Week Three: Bread – Retired sausage factory worker Flo.
- Week Four: Caramel – Tom, an adventurer from Scotland.
- Week Five: Pudding – James, a Royal Navy Reserves diver.
- Week Six: Pastry – Julia, a 21-year-old from Siberia in Russia.
What are the themes for each week on Bake off?
Each week there is a different theme:
This can differ, and sometimes the show introduces new themes like “Victorian” or “European”.
Each theme has three rounds:
This challenge is for the amateur bakers to show off their tried-and-tested recipes for bakes they might make for their friends and family.
This challenge requires enough technical knowledge and experience to produce a certain finished product when given only limited – or even minimal – instructions.
The bakers are all given the same recipe and are not told beforehand what the challenge will be.
The finished products are judged blind and ranked from worst to best.
This challenge is for the bakers to show off their skills and talent.
The judges favour a bake that is both of a professional appearance but is also outstanding in taste.
Who has been named Star Baker so far?
- Week One: Cakes – Steven wowed the judges with his impressive sponge cake inspired by bonfire night and his illusion cake which was a loaf of bread and a sandwich which Paul said was “stunning”.
- Week Two: Biscuits – Steven was awarded Star Baker for a second time with a stunning chessboard Show Stopper.
- Week Three: Bread – Julia was named Star Baker with her snail under a mushroom piece stunned the judges and pipped Steven to pole position.
- Week Four: Caramel – Kate was named Star Baker with her toffee apple bonfire night cake wowing the judges.
- Week Five: Pudding – Sophie was named Star Baker with her stunning trifle.
- Week Six: Pastry – Liam was crowned Star Baker for his pie – which was inspired by his gran and was filled with plantain and curried goat.
What does Star Baker mean?
Every week the judges give the award of Star Baker to a single baker (though on some occasions there have been multiple) who was seen to have excelled in that particular week.
The award is given by judges Paul Hollywood and Prue Leith and numerous bakers have received the accolade on more than one occasion.
Winners of the programme usually have received the award at some point, but being the overall winner is not counted as winning the accolade.
When is Great British Bake Off 2017 on TV?
You can watch The Great British Bake Off on Tuesdays at 8pm on Channel 4.