THERE are plenty of important anniversaries falling in 2017 – from historical events to celebrity birthdays and classic pop culture moments.
Here’s what happened in history, and more recent memory, on October 4…
What happened in history on this day?
- 1537: The first English language Bible is printed
- 1883: The Orient Express heads off on its first official journey – from Paris to Istanbul
- 1957: Russian satellite Sputnik is the first man-made object launched into space
- 1976: British Rail launches its 125mph high speed service. The first London-Bristol service arrived three minutes early
- 1992: An Israeli Boeing 747 cargo plane crashes in the outskirts of Amsterdam, setting two blocks of flats on fire and killing dozens of people
- 2006: Activist Julian Assange launches WikiLeaks
Which famous people were born on this day?
Does your birthday fall on October 3? If so, you’re sharing with this lot:
- Susan Sarandon: actress, 70 today
- Alicia Silverstone: Clueless actress, 40 today
- Ashley Banjo: Diversity dancer, 28 today
- Stacey Solomon: TV presenter, 27 today
- Dakota Johnson: Fifty Shades of Grey actress, 27 today
- Leigh-Anne Pinnock: Little Mix singer, 25 today
- Amber Davies: Love Island winner and reality star, 20 today
Which other important anniversaries fall in 2017?
A number of special dates fall this year, although it’s impossible to list them all.
Here’s a round-up of some of the big ones still to come in 2017…
- October 14, 2007: Keeping Up With The Kardashians debuts for the first time
- October 16, 1987: Marks 30 years since Dirty Dancing was released
- October 31, 1517: Theologian Martin Luther compiles his 95 Theses
- October 31, 1887: The 125th anniversary of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s A Study In Scarlet – his first work featuring Sherlock Holmes
- November 18, 1997: Blockbuster film Titanic was released 20 years ago (UK film premiere)
- December 3, 1967: The first human heart transplant was carried out 50 years ago