THERE are plenty of important anniversaries falling in 2017 – from historical events to celebrity birthdays and classic pop culture moments.
Here’s what happened in history, and more recent memory, on October 5…
What happened in history on this day?
- 2011: Steve Job died, American businessman, co-founded Apple Inc., Pixar
- 1999: At least eight people are confirmed dead and 160 injured after two trains collided near Paddington Station in west London at the height of the morning rush hour
- 1994: The bodies of 48 cult members were been discovered by Swiss police following an apparent mass suicide
- 1989: Dalai Lama wins Peace Prize
- 1962: James Bond makes his theatrical debut in Dr. No, with Sean Connery as James Bond
- 1947: First televised presidential speech in the United States, Harry Truman called on Americans to use less grain to help Europe post WW2
Which famous people were born on this day?
Does your birthday fall on October 5? If so, you’re sharing with this lot:
- 1983: Jesse Eisenberg, American actor
- 1975: Kate Winslet, English actress, singer
- 1958: Neil deGrasse Tyson, American astrophysicist
- 1957: Bernie Mac, TV actor (1957-2008)
- 1936: Václav Havel, Czech politician, 1st President of the Czech Republic
- 1882: Robert H. Goddard, American physicist, inventor
- 1829: Chester A. Arthur, American politician, 21st President of the United States
Which other important anniversaries fall in 2017?
A number of special dates fall this year, although it’s impossible to list them all.
Here’s a round-up of some of the big ones still to come in 2017…
- October 14, 2007: Keeping Up With The Kardashians debuts for the first time
- October 16, 1987: Marks 30 years since Dirty Dancing was released
- October 31, 1517: Theologian Martin Luther compiles his 95 Theses
- October 31, 1887: The 125th anniversary of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s A Study In Scarlet – his first work featuring Sherlock Holmes
- November 18, 1997: Blockbuster film Titanic was released 20 years ago (UK film premiere)
- December 3, 1967: The first human heart transplant was carried out 50 years ago