THE United States is in ‘direct’ talks with North Korea to get the rogue state to give up its nukes, Rex Tillerson revealed today.
The US Secretary of State’s revelations follow an escalating war of words between US President Donald Trump and despot Kim Jong-un.
“We are probing, so stay tuned,” he told reporters after talks with Chinese officials in Beijing.
“We ask. We have lines of communication with Pyongyang. We’re not in a dark situation, a blackout, we have a couple, three channels open to Pyongyang.”
“We can talk to them, we do talk to them,” he said.
Asked whether China was acting as a go-between for the contacts, Tillerson said: “Our own channels.”
Chinese President Xi Jinping offered warm words for Donald Trump on Saturday, calling him a friend and saying he expected Trump’s visit to China in November would be “wonderful”.
China’s relationship with the United States has been strained by the Trump administration’s criticism of Chinese trade practices and by demands that
Meeting Tillerson at Beijing’s Great Hall of the People, Xi said he had enjoyed his meetings with Trump and that the two had made considerable efforts to push the development of China-US relations.
“The two of us have also maintained a good working relationship and personal friendship,” Xi said.
“I believe that President Trump’s upcoming visit to China means an important opportunity for the further development of China-US relations,” Xi added.
“And I believe his visit will be a special, wonderful and successful one.”
Earlier a North Korean state body that handles external propaganda lobbed a new insult at Trump, calling him an “old psychopath” on “a suicidal act of inviting a nuclear disaster that will reduce America into a sea of flames”.
North Korea has been spotted mobilising more ballistic missiles sparking fears Kim is preparing another nuclear test outrage.
US and South Korean intelligence agencies claim the missiles were moved from the Missile Research and Development Facility in the capital Pyongyang.
The reports did not say when or where they had been moved.
The missiles could be either intermediate range Hwasong-12 or intercontinental ballistic Hwasong-14 missiles, according to the report.
A source from South Korea’s defence ministry said he could not confirm details of the report or whether there has been any unusual activities in the area mentioned.
South Korean officials fear the North could conduct more provocative acts near the anniversary of the founding of its communist party on October 10 or when China holds its Communist Party Congress on October 18.
Earlier this month trigger-happy Kim tested the world’s patience when he ordered his military to fire a missile over Japan.
South Korea and US forces recently held their first joint short range air defence training exercise in South Korea, according to a statement released by the US Pacific Command on Friday.
The statement did not give the date of the exercise, but said the next exercise is scheduled to take place over the next few months.
The news comes after threats of war between North Korea and the US have reached unprecedented levels.
President Donald Trump threatened to “totally destroy” the country if it continued its nuclear missile programme.
In response, North Korea’s foreign minister accused the US of having “declared war” and said it is entitled to shoot down American bombers.
North Korea has bragged nearly FIVE MILLION citizens have offered to join its army following President Donald Trump’s threats to “totally destroy” the rogue state.
More than 4.7 million “devout students and workers” – including more than 1.2m women – have “volunteered” to join the military amid a looming conflict with its neighbours in the south and the US.
Kim’s state media claims millions have sought to join the army to defend “the leader and socialism” and crush “US imperialists who are out to ‘totally destroy’ the DPRK.”
Millions of students and some 1.22 million women are among those who have reportedly put their names forward amid increasing hostility with America.
Wannabe soldiers wrote are said to have posted threatening slogans in their applications, including “Let us blow up the US empire of evils with five million nuclear bombs!” KCNA reported.
The new recruits also reportedly pledged to “take the lead in the final battle against the US” and will become part of the army within just six days.
This week tyrant Kim has ordered his cronies to put up posters preparing the hermit kingdom’s citizens for war with the US.
Kim and President Donald Trump have traded chilling threats over North Korea’s nuclear missile tests.
And after Trump threatened to destroy the Stalinist regime if it attacked the US or her allies, Kim’s propaganda machine went into overdrive.
The murderous dictator ordered his propagandists to plaster posters at busy cross-roads across the country warning that “the great and decisive war against America” is coming.
Citizens in the capital Pyongyang have been photographed pasting the propaganda posters in windows.
One image, taken in secret and sent to NK News, shows a poster with an image of warheads raining down on the White House.
Another covert snap shows rows of posters put up by the side of the road.
But while the images might seem extreme, North Koreans are used to the regime’s constant use of slogans – ranging from the aggressive to the bizarre – to brainwash the population.
MOST READ IN WORLD NEWS
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0207 782 4368