Some 122,000 people have fled Mount Agung’s danger zone, which lies 75 km away from the island’s beach resort Kuta, officials have claimed.
Officials at an evacuation centre in Klungkung district said 122,490 people had left their homes, taking refuge at nearly 500 makeshift shelters or moving in with relatives.
Around 62,000 people lived in the danger zone before the evacuations, according to Indonesia’s disaster mitigation agency, but residents just outside the area have also left their homes out of fear.
Disaster agency spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said: “In general the evacuation is going well, the logistics supply is sufficient for the evacuees’ needs.”
Around 10,000 animals have also been evacuated from the flanks of the volcano.
Officials estimated there are at least 30,000 cows within a 12-kilometre radius of the volcano.
Mount Agung last erupted in 1963, killing nearly 1,600 people.
Earlier this week, Indonesia’s national disaster agency sent face masks, mattresses, blankets and tents for evacuees.
The airport in Bali’s capital Denpasar, through which millions of foreign tourists pass every year, has not been affected.
But several countries including Australia and Singapore have issued a travel warnings.
Mount Agung was highly active on Thursday, recording 125 volcanic earthquakes in six hours.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0207 782 4368 . We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.