PABLO Escobar’s son has claimed his father’s blood-soaked legacy is alive and well after a location scout for Netflix drug cartel drama Narcos was shot dead.
Sebastian Marroquin said that “nothing has changed except the names,” when discussing the drug trafficking and corruption that is rife in South and Central America.
His comments come less than a month after a location manager for Netflix series Narcos was fatally shot while scouting filming locations.
Carlos Muñoz Portal, 37, was found dead in his car on Monday in the town of Temascalapa, in a violent attack in central Mexico.
Marroquin, who changed his name from Juan Pablo Escobar, told The Mirror: “As for what happened to the Netflix guy, I don’t know too much and I don’t trust what I read in the news.
“But unfortunately, Mexico is a very violent place.
“If I went to Africa to film lions, I wouldn’t be surprised if one killed me.
“The drug dealers in Cali are watching Narcos and they don’t like it.
“Netflix should be more responsible.”
The third series of the drama tells the tales of what happened to drug war after Pablo Escobar was shot dead on a Medellin rooftop in 1993.
It charts the rise of the Cali Cartel who filled the void left after their rivals headed by Escobar were brought down.
The Netflix worker’s body is said to have been riddled with bullets.
Mexican authorities are reportedly struggling to investigate the case due to a lack of witnesses.
Netflix has since issued a statement paying their respects to Muñoz and his family.
They said: “We are aware of the passing of Carlos Muñoz Portal, a well-respected scout, and send our condolences to his family.
“The facts surrounding his death are still unknown as authorities continue to investigate.”
Police have said that his car appeared to have been involved in some kind of chase but they are unsure where it began.
The vehicle was discovered on a dirt road in Temascalapa near the border with Hidalgo, the Mexican state with the highest homicide rate.
A friend told Spanish newspaper El Pais that Carlos had been in Mexico to take photographs and look for locations for the fourth season of the hit show.
Muñoz, a Mexican national from Puebla, had worked as a film location scout since 2003.
Carlos had worked on Spectre, the most recent James Bond movie, Man On Fire and Apocalypto.
In November last year Marroquin told The Sun Online his father took his own life to save his family.
He said: “I have the absolute certainty that my father committed suicide.
“Coroners who did the autopsy were threatened and forced to change the official report.
“My father always told me the shot that would take his life would stick.”
He was just 17-years-old when his father died on a rooftop in Medellin on 2 December 1993 – after over a year on the run.
And Mr Marroquin, now a 39-year-old architect, has revealed he was speaking to the drugs baron on the phone just 10 minutes before he died.
“He never used the phone for years being the most wanted man in the world, until that day when he was found.”
Recalling their last conversation, he said the last words his father spoke to him were “I’ll call you right back”.
He said he believed Escobar shot himself to stop his family being taken hostage by his enemies, including the ‘vigilante’ group Los Pepes – People Persecuted by Pablo Escobar’.
Mr Marroquin also remembered the last time he saw his father alive.
“He wept when taking leave of the whole family. As if sensing that was the last time he would see us alive.”
Following Escobar’s death, his son said the multi-billion dollar cocaine empire “sank like the Titanic”.
During the height of his powers in the 1980s, Escobar ran Colombia’s Medellin Cartel with brutal efficiency.
Some 7,000 people are thought to have died during his bloody war with the Colombian government, while he amassed as much as £30billion by importing drugs into the US, making him one of the richest men in the world at the time.