TERRIFIED commuters took cover on a packed tube after hearing gunshots they thought was the onset of a terror attack.
Passengers were pictured crouching on the floor of the stationary train, close to El Carmen Tube Station yesterday afternoon.
The underground tube was evacuated as it approached the station on Madrid’s Line 5, near Las Ventas bullring.
Cops confirmed the incident was not a terror attack, but said they had arrested two men.
Sources have linked the incident to a brawl between two drunk South Americans on the same tube.
One of the men reportedly fired a pistol.
Frightened local David Rivas reported the incident on Twitter.
He said: “We are trapped in the Carmen tube stop. The driver says shots have been fired.
“Can anyone tell us what is going on? Police are in the tunnel.”
He later added: “The train is starting up again. We’re reaching Carmen tube stop and are being ordered off the train.
“Leaving now. Witnesses say there’s been a shot fired in the last carriage.”
Reportan usuarios del Metro de Madrid posible tiroteo en L5,entre El Carmen y Ventas.Desalojan vagones e interrumpen servicio en 2 líneas
— Siempre 88.9 FM (@Siempre889) September 28, 2017
Services in the area were halted on line 5 as well as on line 2, between the stations of La Elipa and Banco de España near the scene of the drama.
A spokesman for Metro de Madrid, which runs the tube service confirmed around 2.30pm: “Tubes suspended on parts of Lines 2 and 5 due to circumstances beyond our control.”
Services were back to normal around 3.15pm local time.
Spain is on high terror alert following last month’s terror attacks in Barcelona and the nearby seaside resort of Cambrils.
Moroccan-born Younes Abouqaaqoub killed 14 people including British-born Julian Cadman, seven.
He injured more than 100 others after driving his van along Barcelona’s famous Las Ramblas boulevard on August 17.