Chrono Trigger is available on PC for the first time, without the need of emulation and other tricks.
Fans can buy it from Steam, where is costs around $14.99, which includes the Active Time Battle Version 2.
Square Enix has dubbed this the definitive version of Chrono Trigger, which comes with some notable upgrades.
- Two Extra Dungeons – Includes the mysterious ‘Dimensional Vortex’ dungeon and the forgotten ‘Lost Sanctum’ dungeon that first appeared in the DS and mobile releases
- Updated Graphics and Sound – While keeping the atmosphere of the original, featuring enhanced visuals designed for modern PCs and remastered soundtrack under the supervision of original composer Yasunori Mitsuda
- Updated Controls – Optimised PC experience that supports both controller and mouse/keyboard configuration
- New Autosave Feature – Automatically saves while still featuring the original title’s Save Point function
There’s also the Chrono Trigger Limited Edition – Those that purchase the STEAM version until 2nd April 2018 will receive the following digital bonuses for free:
- Specially edited digital song file containing a medley of five songs: ‘Far Off Promise’, ‘Wind Scene’, ‘Battle with Magus’, ‘Corridors of Time’, and ‘Chrono Trigger’
- Composer Yasunori Mitsuda’s digital liner notes
- A collection of six stunning PC wallpapers in varying sizes
And in conjunction with the release of the Steam version, Chrono Trigger for iOS and Android will also receive a major update, which brings all of the enhancements in the PC version to mobile devices.
Additionally, Chrono Trigger is also now available on the Amazon AppStore beginning today, bringing the title to an even wider array of mobile platforms.
However, while fans have just received access to all this, the first Steam reviews aren’t that impressive.
Following the first 90 reviews, Chrono Trigger on Steam boasts a Mostly Negative ranking.
It should be noted that many of these have less than 1-hour played, so things could change in the near future.
Originally released in 1995, Chrono Trigger was developed by the ‘Dream Team’ of DRAGON QUEST creator Yuji Horii, Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama and the creators of the Final Fantasy series.
“Many challenges await players in this epic quest to save the planet’s future, as long-lost secrets are revealed through time travel to different eras including the present, middle ages, the future, prehistory and ancient times.”