A TEENAGER found dead on a building site was trapped in knee-deep mud, it has emerged.
Marcin Porczyk, 18, was found in a “concrete washout” area by a digger driver who spotted the “outline of a body” while working on Kier Construction site in Swansea in January.
The teen had vanished in the early hours of January 23 after a night out in the town – with his body being discovered two days later.
His family have now been told they may never find out the exact circumstances surrounding his death after a coroner simply said he had not been able to “extract himself” from knee-deep mud.
His body was described as being “camouflaged” by the thick sludge but it remains a mystery how he ended up buried on the site.
The pre-inquest hearing was told initial evidence suggested Marcin may have been under the influence of alcohol and suffering hypothermia at the time, which may have led to him getting into difficulty.
He had been reported missing two days earlier after vanishing from a night out wearing only a t-shirt.
Senior Coroner Colin Phillips said a full inquest would investigate how he was able to access the building site.
Speaking at the pre-inquest hearing in Swansea via a translator, his parents said they were “surprised” CCTV at the site was not reviewed as soon as he went missing. It is understood it was only checked after the discovery of his body.
Health and Safety officer Phil Nichol said it was “in the realms of speculation” how he gained access to the “completely contained” site.
The inquest is due to be heard later this year.