BEN STOKES has been banned indefinitely by England after a video emerged of him punching TWO people in the street.
The all-rounder — who will also be removed as vice-skipper — had been named in the Ashes squad.
But he broke a hand in the fight and would have faced a battle to be fit for the First Test in Australia.
Shocking footage acquired by The Sun shows Stokes, 26, thumping two men during the brawl in Bristol at 2.35am on Monday.
He was arrested for suspected actual bodily harm and released without charge while police investigate.
The video will form a key part of England supremo Andrew Strauss’ probe into the behaviour of Stokes, Alex Hales and up to five team-mates.
Opener Hales has also been indefinitely suspended from England duty.
Strauss is threatening to fine or suspend players while head coach Trevor Bayliss blasted his team as “unprofessional” and is considering an Ashes curfew.
An ECB statement regarding the incident said: “Ben Stokes and Alex Hales will not be considered for selection for England international matches until further notice.
“Each remains on full pay pending further ECB investigation and the on going Police investigation into an incident in Bristol in the early hours of Monday 25 September.
“Andrew Strauss, Director of England Cricket, will today refer the internal disciplinary procedure for these two players to the Cricket Discipline Commission, chaired by Tim O’Gorman.
“These decisions, fully supported by ECB Chairman Colin Graves, were made following the release of footage viewed by ECB for the first time on Wednesday night.”
Latest on Ben Stokes
THE SUN SAYS
Robbing England of Ben Stokes’ cricketing talent isn’t the right punishment
Stokes tweet calling Fury ’embarrassment to sport’ resurfaces amid fight fiasco
Gareth Southgate bans England stars from boozy nights in Russia next summer
Why has Alex Hales been banned from the England cricket team?
Who is Ben Stokes and why has he been suspended indefinitely by the ECB?
Ben Stokes blasted by Aussie media and former stars for Bristol brawl
BEN ASHES BLOW
Ben Stokes and Alex Hales banned indefinitely by England over street brawl
Why will Ben Stokes miss the Ashes? Video emerges of star in street fight
Ben Stokes vid brought back memories of night Aus pal was killed in street brawl
Ben Stokes to miss Ashes after indefinite England ban for shocking fight video
TALE OF THE TAPE
ECB confirms it has seen The Sun’s exclusive video of Ben Stokes fighting
As revealed by SunSport, Stokes had an X-ray on Tuesday which revealed a fracture to the side of his right hand just below the little finger.
Medics say the recovery time is around six weeks, meaning he will miss some of the warm-up games but should be fit for the First Test in Brisbane on November 23.
Coach Trevor Bayliss stated that a curfew will be considered during The Ashes tour as a result of Stokes’ behaviour, but had added that he would not personally remove him as vice-captain.
He said: “Ben has shown he is a leader within the group when it comes to cricket.
“I’m sure there will be investigations going forward but, at the moment, I’m quite happy for him to be vice-captain.”
When asked if he is happy for his players to be out at 2.35am, Aussie Bayliss replied: “Definitely not.”
He added: “Certainly, we’ll be looking into a curfew.
“I have been with teams before, we’ve had curfews and that doesn’t work, either.
“Whichever way you go, a lot of the responsibility comes back to the players.
“They are adults and they have to take responsibility — they are professionals.
“The other night, a few guys being out in the middle of a series was very unprofessional.”
It is possible the police enquiry would have prevented Stokes from going to Australia regardless of whether he was selected.
Former England captain Michael Vaughan says he thinks Ben Stokes will be involved in The Ashes but won’t be vice captain
Most read in sport
McGregor training son to be a boxer – and he’s already doing ‘squats’ at 5 months
Chelsea vs Man City live
Latest score and updates from Premier League clash
Alvaro Morata limps off during Chelsea’s home clash against Manchester City
Kevin de Bruyne puts City ahead at Stamford Bridge
Carlo Ancelotti ‘would only return to management this season with Arsenal’
‘ALWAYS BE WITH US’
Cristiano Ronaldo pays touching tribute to his late father
Shaka Hislop urges Arsene Wenger to swap Mesut Ozil for Joao Mario in January
Three fans seriously injured after barrier collapses during Ligue 1 clash
Adnan Januzaj facing ‘indefinite period’ on sidelines following knee injury
chelsea 0 man city 1
Kevin De Bruyne’s stunning strike fires City to eighth straight win
See the incredible World Cup 2018 stadium which has a stand OUTSIDE the ground
Man Utd 4 Palace 0
Fellaini bags two as United rack up the goals against pointless Palace